Assigning a device to act as update agent and configuring a connection gateway
You can use a connection gateway to manage devices in a client organization that have no direct connection with the virtual Administration Server.
You can also manually assign a device to act as update agent for an administration group and configure it as connection gateway in Administration Console.
To assign a device as update agent of an administration group:
- In the console tree, select the Administration Server node.
- In the context menu of the Administration Server, select Properties.
- In the Administration Server properties window, select the Update agents section and click the Add button.
This opens the Add update agent window.
- In the Add update agent window, perform the following actions:
- Click the down arrow on the Add split button and select the device that will act as update agent. You can add the device in one of the following ways:
- Add device from group. Adds a device from the Managed devices folder.
- Add connection gateway in DMZ by address. Prompts you to enter the connection gateway address.
You can use this option only for adding a firewall-protected device as update agent, since it cannot be included in an administration group directly.
When selecting a device, keep in mind the operation features of update agents and the requirements set for the device that acts as update agent.
- Indicate the specific devices to which the update agent will distribute updates. You can specify an administration group or a network location description.
- Click OK.
The update agent that you have added will be displayed in the list of update agents, in the Update agents section.
The first device with Network Agent installed that connects to the virtual Administration Server will be automatically assigned to act as update agent and configured as connection gateway.
After the update agent is added according to the IP address, the Administration Server will detect it the next time it scans the network and move it to the Unassigned devices folder. Because the update agent is protected by a Firewall, you have to perform the following actions to configure it:
- Add this device to the selected administration group.
- Reopen the Administration Server properties window in the Update agents section.
- Remove the device that was added (by IP address) from the list of update agents.
- Add the same device from the Managed devices folder by clicking the Add or Add device from group button.
- In the properties window of this update agent in the Advanced section, check whether the Connection gateway and Initiate gateway connection from Administration Server part check boxes are selected.